Thursday, December 10, 2015

Introducing Honeysuckle

Yes.  This is MHS Dog 40A.


Today I went to the Maui Humane Society to pick up my very first foster dog.  Honeysuckle is about 7 years old and came to the pound a few weeks ago, covered with fleas, missing huge patches of fur and severely underweight.  And heartworm.  Once they got her cleaned up and flealess ... and her hair had grown back they deemed her healthy enough to begin treatment for the heartworm.

She will be on daily antibiotics for a month then back to the vet to see if she's okay to start the heartworm treatment.  The antibiotics help to weaken the worms so they are easier to eliminate.  She will then get an injection (painful and sore for a bit) and a month later another shot.  Once she gets that first shot, she has to be kept calm.  Nothing to make her heart pump and more or any faster than her normal.

Isn't that perfect for a Grandma?  She follows me wherever I go in the house.  Despite her new soft bed, she lays at my feet.  Mainly ON my feet.  We've been out for several short walks and she is the perfect lady on a leash.  But no hint of remembering to do her duty, either one!


She's quite beautiful if the picture doesn't show all of her protruding bones.  I had plans today with ten year old Lilly.  Who just happens to love dogs!  The two of us went to lunch (mmmm, Peggy Sue's diner ala 1950's) and then to the pet supply shop to get a better grade of pet food than the MHS can afford ... and a Kong that I can fill with kibble and she can roll around and try to get the treat out.

Lilly and I are now doing our computer work (she goes to a Charter school where one and a half days per week she works from home (or her pretend Gramma's).


Fortunately, we are being kept company!

3 comments: