Wednesday, December 16, 2015

QUEEN OF THE KONG

Even though we are strict couch potato duty, I still like Honey to have fun.

I bought her a Kong.  For those non-pet owners, it is a highly durable (almost chew proof) piece of shaped rubber that you can fill with treats and your dog has to do a bit of work to get the reward.

            

Hers is a round ball which I've been putting her kibble in and sealing the ends of peanut butter, then popping into the freezer to make it take longer to get through the peanut butter.  Today, my brilliant sister told me she puts canned dogfood in and then freezes it ... so it is fun for even longer!

I give her one if I'm going to be out for a few hours.  Like today when I went out to buy grain free canned dogfood to stuff next time!

Don't worry.  We wash out the Kong each time to be sure nothing wicked grows.  I'm thinking of getting the other shape (above) and running the used one through the dishwasher just to be on the safe side.




4 comments:

  1. I had one of those for Levi. It got caught under a foot stool while I was gone one day and when I got back home I discovered he tried to chew the leg off the stool to get at the Kong. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I didn't think about that!! My sister gives hers to doggies when she crates them (any time she is away). Honey didn't come with a crate! I may have to rethink this ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't give Levi anything to chew on when I leave the house because dogs have been known to chock on rawhide and other kinds of chew sticks. If the Kong is too big for Honey to chock on it's probably safe to leave her alone with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I don't crate Levi. He has one he goes to on his own but I never lock him in. Sometimes I'll use a baby gate to keep him in the kitchen if I'm going to be gone a long time. He does fine not being crated. All dogs are different.

      Delete